This week is National Men’s Health Week; therefore, we are celebrating by encouraging healthy eating habits and providing delicious recipes for bachelors to enjoy.
According to www.mensfittness.com here are some of the best foods that men should consume to improve their health.
- Turkey Breasts
- Green Tea
- Black beans
- Whole wheat bread
- Sweet potatoes
- Lean red meat
Quick, healthy, and simple dinners for The bachelor:
Dinning with your significant other? Make this healthy option for your next date night: Broiled Tilapia Parmesan, the recipe is below(adopted from http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Broiled-Tilapia-Parmesan/Detail.aspx?evt19=1&referringHubId=454&mxt=t06dda)
- Serving Size: 2
- 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon of butter, softened
- 2.25 teaspoons of mayonnaise
- 1.5 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon of celery salt
- ½ pound of tilapia fillets
- Preheat your oven's broiler. Grease a broiling pan or line pan with aluminum foil.
- In a small bowl, mix together the Parmesan cheese, butter, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Season with dried basil, pepper, onion powder and celery salt. Mix well and set aside.
- Arrange fillets in a single layer on the prepared pan. Broil a few inches from the heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the fillets over and broil for a couple more minutes. Remove the fillets from the oven and cover them with the Parmesan cheese mixture on the top side. Broil for 2 more minutes or until the topping is browned and fish flakes easily with a fork. Be careful not to over cook the fish.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
Watching the BIG Game with friends? For your Boy's Night make Men's Health's Honey-Togarashi Wings. (Adopted from http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-eat/nhl-diet-eat-like-a-stanley-cup-champ)
- 1 lb fresh chicken wings
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp kosher salt
- 3 qts canola oil
- ½ cup rice wine vinegar
- ¾ cup local honey
- 1 ½ Szechuan peppercorns
- 2 tbsp Shichimi Togarashi
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ¼ cup scallions, cut on bias for garnish
1) Place chicken wings in a bowl, toss with ground black pepper and 1 tablespoon of kosher salt. Place in fridge for 20 minutes.
2) While the wings are marinating, in a heavy bottom pot (6qt) add 3 quarts of oil, attach candy or frying thermometer and heat oil to 250°F over medium heat. A countertop fryer can be used for this step as well; follow manufacturers directions for operation.
3) Once the oil has reached 250°, remove the wings from the fridge. Drain off any liquid that has accumulated in the bottom of the bowl. Add the wings to the oil with tongs making sure not to splash hot oil. Check to make sure that wings are not sticking to the bottom of the pan. Once all of the wings are in the pan, adjust heat to maintain 250°. Cook for 20 minutes stirring twice throughout the cooking process. This first cooking confits the wings, making them very tender. At the conclusion of the 20 minutes, turn off the heat and remove the wings with a slotted spoon and allow them to drain on paper towels to remove excess oil. Place wings in a container large enough to fit them in a single layer. Place in fridge uncovered overnight. When oil is cool, clear it of any debris. Cover once cool.
4) The next day, bring oil to 350° over medium heat. While oil is heating mix the wing sauce. In a mixing bowl whisk 2 teaspoons of salt with rice wine vinegar until salt is dissolved. Add honey, Szechuan peppercorns, Shichimi Togarashi, and sesame oil. Whisk to fully incorporate.
5) When oil is hot, remove chicken wings from fridge. They are fully cooked at this point; this second frying is to crisp the skin and heat the wings thoroughly. Carefully add wings to pan, avoiding any splashes of hot oil. Fry for 5 minutes (time will depend on size of wings) or until skin is crispy and golden brown. Remove from oil with slotted spoon, toss with sauce, plate, and garnish with chopped scallion.
Note: If you are pressed for time the wings can be cooked the day of from raw in 350° oil. Ensure wings have reached an internal temperature of 165° before serving. Toss with sauce as above.
- See more at: http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-eat/nhl-diet-eat-like-a-stanley-cup-champ#sthash.zJUbsnSp.dpuf