Shrimp, Avocado and Roasted Corn Salad how to below, (adapted from http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/shrimp-roasted-corn-and-avocado-salad/#_a5y_p=1169683)
- 2 ears of sweet corn, shaved off the cob
- 3 strips of bacon, diced
- 1/2 lb. large shrimp, peeled with tails on or off
- 4 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1/3 cup grated Fontina cheese (optional)
- buttermilk pesto dressing (see below)
Buttermilk Pesto Dressing Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup mayo or Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup pesto, homemade or storebought
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- pinch of salt and pepper, to taste
To Make the Salad:
- Heat a skillet over high heat. Add the corn kernels and let them dry-roast for about 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until their edges begin to brown and caramelize. Transfer the corn to a plate to set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium-high. In the same skillet, add the bacon. Fry for about 6 minutes, stirring ocassionally, until crispy. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon, leaving the grease in the skillet.
- Add the shrimp and saute until cooked and pink, about 2 minutes per side (depending on the size of your shrimp). Remove shrimp and set aside. (You're now done with your multi-tasking skillet!)
- Assemble your salads by tossing together the Romaine, corn, bacon, shrimp and avocado. Drizzle with dressing and serve.
To Make the Dressing: Whisk together all ingredients until blended. Season with salt and pepper.
Whipped Basil Ricotta and Strawberry Crostini How to below, (adapted from http://veggieandthebeastfeast.com/2014/06/24/whipped-basil-ricotta-and-strawberry-crostini/)
Whipped Basil Ricotta
- 1 (15-ounce) container whole-milk ricotta
- 3/4 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (plus more to taste)
- 5 ounces cream cheese, softened
Strawberry Balsamic Crostini
- 1 (15-ounce) whole wheat baguette
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 pound strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 1/4 cup basil, sliced or chopped
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- Place the ricotta and 3/4 cup basil in a food processor, and process until smooth. The color of the ricotta should be a light green. Add salt and cream cheese, and pulse a few times until the cream cheese is fully incorporated. Taste and add more salt if you'd like.
- Pour the balsamic into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and let simmer for 15-20 minutes, until it has reduced by half. Set aside to cool while you get the other ingredients ready (it will thicken slightly in this time)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Slice the baguette into 1/4-inch slices. Brush both sides with olive oil. Sprinkle the top of the bread with salt.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until lightly golden.
- Slice or chop the additional 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves for garnish.
- Let the baked bread cool for 5 minutes, then spoon on the basil ricotta, top with strawberries and additional sliced basil, and finish with a drizzle of the balsamic glaze.
Grilled Honey Lime Chicken How to below, (adapted from http://realhousemoms.com/grilled-honey-lime-chicken/)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp lime zest
- juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tsp chili powder
- lime slices for garnish, optional
- preheat your grill to a medium heat
- pat the chicken breasts dry
- sprinkle the salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and cumin evenly over both sides of the chicken breasts
- in a small bowl combine the lime zest, lime juice, honey and chili powder
- place on the grill and cook for about 5 minutes then flip to cook on the other side
- allow to cook another 5 to 6 minutes
- brush both sides of the chicken breast with the honey mixture
- allow to keep cooking until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees F
Lemon Pesto Penne How to below, (adapted from http://pinchofyum.com/20-minute-lemon-pesto-penne)
- 8 ounces whole wheat penne
- 2 cups baby broccoli
- 1 cup oven roasted tomatoes (I used Kirkland brand and rinsed excess oil)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (optional)
- ¼ cup pesto
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- juice of ½ lemon
- fresh basil, cut into ribbons
- Cook the penne according to package directions. Add the baby broccoli to the pot of boiling water for the last 1-2 minutes of cooking. It should turn bright green. Drain and return to the pan over medium high heat.
- Add the tomatoes and garlic to the pan with the pasta and baby broccoli; saute 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Add the pesto, half of the feta, and the lemon juice. Toss in the pan until well combined. Remove from heat and add the basil. Sprinkle with remaining feta before serving.
You could also use regular broccoli, broccolini, or broccoli rabe (all have different flavors and textures but I think they could all work).
Lemon Blueberry Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting How to Below, (adapted from http://www.cookingclassy.com/2014/05/lemon-blueberry-cake/)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp lemon extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp milk
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 1/2 cups fresh blueberries, at room temperature, rinsed and drained well
- 12 oz cream cheese, softened (1 1/2 pkgs)
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp lemon extract*
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Blueberries and lemon slices, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter 3 9-inch round baking pans and line the bottom of each with a round of parchment paper. Butter parchment paper and lightly dust pan with flour, shaking out excess.
- Sift cake flour into a mixing bowl. Add all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and whisk for 30 seconds, set aside. In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment (if you don't have the paddle attachment that constantly scrapes sides of the bowl while mixing, then stop mixer occasionally throughout entire mixing process and scrape down sides and bottom of bowl), whip together butter, granulated sugar and lemon zest until mixture is pale and fluffy. In a 2 cup liquid measuring cup, measure out milk then stir in sour cream and lemon juice, let rest 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix eggs into butter mixture one a time, then stir in lemon extract and vanilla extract. Toss blueberries with 3 Tbsp of the flour mixture. Working in three separate batches, beginning and ending with remaining flour mixture, add 1/3 of the flour mixture (to the butter/egg mixture) alternating with 1/2 of the milk mixture and mixing just until combined after each addition. Gently fold in blueberries. Divide mixture evenly among prepared baking pans. Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 24 - 27 minutes. Cool in baking pans about 20 - 30 minute then invert onto wire racks to cool completely. Once cool, frost with cream cheese frosting and decorate with blueberries and lemon slices if desired. Store in an airtight container.
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitter with the paddle attachment, whip butter until pale and fluffy. Add cream cheese and mix until smooth and fluffy. Add vanilla and lemon extract and powdered sugar and blend several minutes longer until smooth and fluffy (if frosting seems slightly runny, you can chill it for a bit before frosting cake).
- *Omit lemon extract if making this cream cheese frosting for a different recipe. This frosting is good on so many different kinds of cake!