Healthy Summer Smoothies
The Benjamin Button Smoothie how to below, (adapted from http://www.oneingredientchef.com/benjamin-button-smoothie/)
What You'll Need:
- 1/3 cup frozen blueberries
- 4 frozen strawberries
- 1 1/2 frozen bananas
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 2 pitted dates
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1+ cup non-dairy milk or water
Freeze the bananas. To do this, simply peel the bananas, break them into 1-inch chunks and add to a freezer bag. They'll keep for over a week.
Add everything from the ingredient list to your blender and blend until completely smooth and creamy. At this point, you can decide how thick you’d like the smoothie to be. With 1 cup of liquid, it’ll be so thick you’ll basically have ice cream. For a something a little more drinkable, add an additional splash of liquid and blend again.
For best results, serve immediately in a fancy glass (it always make smoothies taste better). Optionally garnish with some chia seeds, whole berries, or walnuts.
Mint Chocolate Green Protein Smoothie how to below, (adapted from http://www.nutritionistinthekitch.com/2013/03/17/st-pattys-day-mint-chocolate-green-protein-smoothie-gluten-free-can-be-vegan/)
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder (I use North Coast Naturals 100% Whey Isolate)
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 medium banana (peeled, cut into sections, and frozen)
- ½ cup fresh or frozen spinach (I used the frozen chunks)
- ¼ tsp pure peppermint extract
- 3-4 ice cubes
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon pure dark chocolate chips
- Blend all ingredients except the chocolate chips. The mixture will be very thick so make sure you have a good blender! If you prefer a thinner consistency, add more almond milk. (I like to eat mine with a spoon!)
- Garnish with the dark chocolate chips.
Strawberry Banana Smoothie how to below, (adapted from http://www.bakedbyrachel.com/strawberry-banana-smoothie/)
What You'll Need:
- 1 banana, peeled
- 2 cups of frozen strawberries
- 12 oz strawberry yogurt
- Peel the banana
- Freeze the strawberries
- Blend all of the ingredients until smooth.
Peanut Butter Banana Green Smoothie how to below, (adapted from http://www.momontimeout.com/2013/03/two-green-smoothie-recipes-youll-love/)
- ⅔ cup milk
- ½ cup greek yogurt, plain or vanilla
- 1 banana, sliced and frozen
- 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- Blend all ingredients together until smooth. Serve immediately.