Mean Muggin: Breakfast
Coffe Cup Quiche, recipe provided below (adapted from St. Louise Post-Dispatch)
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons milk
- Ground black pepper
- 1/4 of a bagel (or similar amount of French bread, etc.)
- 2 teaspoons cream cheese
- 1/2 slice prosciutto or ham
- Fresh thyme leaves or fresh chopped chives
- Dijon mustard
- Beat egg and milk together with a fork in a coffee cup, adding salt and pepper to taste. Tear bread into dime-size pieces; stir in. Add cream cheese; stir in. Tear or cut prosciutto into small pieces; add to mixture. Sprinkle with thyme.
- Microwave on high until done, about 1 minute 10 seconds. Garnish with mustard and fresh thyme or chives.
Blueberry Muffin Mug, recipe provided below (adapted from Today Food)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium egg
- 1 tablespoon low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons self-rising flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh blueberries
- 1/2 teaspoon demerara (raw) sugar
- Place the butter in a 12-ounce mug and microwave for 10–20 seconds until melted.
- Add the egg, milk and vanilla to the mug and beat with a fork until thoroughly combined.
- Add the sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt and beat again until smooth. Fold in half the blueberries and then top with the remainder.
- Cook in the microwave. Microwave cooking times differ according to the wattage of your oven. If you have a 600 watt microwave, it'll take 2 minutes 20 seconds; allow 2 minutes for an 800 watt oven and 1 minute 40 seconds for 1,000 watts.
- Sprinkle with demerara (raw) sugar and serve while it is still a little warm.
- Swap: Swap raspberries for the blueberries or little chunks of pear — and if you do that, throw in a few chocolate chips, too, given they go so well together!
Omelet in a Mug, recipe provided below (adapted from Total Beauty)
- 1 large egg
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tbsp shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp diced green bell pepper
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Cooking spray
- Combine egg, egg whites, cheddar cheese, bell pepper, salt, and ground pepper in a microwave-safe mug coated with non-stick spray.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute; stir. Return to microwave and cook until eggs are completely set, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes longer.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and serve.
Cinnamon Roll Mug Cake, recipe provided below (adapted from Cooking Classy)
- 2 Tbsp applesauce
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp buttermilk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 Tbsp packed light-brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 dash ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp (scant) salt
- 1 Recipe Cream Cheese Icing, recipe follows
Cream Cheese Icing Ingredients:
- 1 Tbsp Cream Cheese or Neufchatel Cheese, softened
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp milk
- Prepare Cream Cheese Icing according to directions listed, set aside. Combine all ingredients (minus Cream Cheese Icing) in a mug then whisk together with a fork until combine and nearly smooth. Microwave mixture on high power for 1 minute then check cake for doneness. If it is not fully cooked microwave for an additional 15 seconds. Serve warm topped with Cream Cheese Icing.
- Cream Cheese Icing: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk with a fork until smooth.
French Toast in a Mug, recipe provided below (adapted from Brooklyn Farm Girl)
- 16-oz mug
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups bread cubes (preferably stale) or small plain croutons
- Toppings: pure maple syrup, confectioners sugar or butter
- In the mug, use a fork to whisk sugar, salt, cinnamon, egg, milk and vanilla until very well blended. Add bread cubes, stirring and pressing them down into the custard to absorb the liquid. Let stand for at least 15 minutes (so the bread absorbs the liquid). Press bread down with a fork to compact.
- Microwave on High for 11⁄2 to 21⁄2 minutes (checking at 11⁄2) or until firm to the touch and liquid is absorbed. Top with syrup, sugar or butter if preferred.
Banana Bread in a Mug, recipe provided below (adapted from Pass the Sushi)
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 3 tbs flour
- 1 tbs + 1 teas sugar
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 1/8 teas salt
- 1/8 teas baking powder
- 1/8 teas baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teas vanilla extract
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 tbs milk
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- Spray a microwave safe mug with cooking spray.
- In a bowl, or right in the mug, whisk flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and soda. Add egg and combine until just incorporated with dry ingredients. Mix in vanilla, oil, milk and mashed banana.
- Pop into the microwave for up to 3 minutes, with no fear to stop and check after 90 seconds for doneness.
- Like all magical things that come out of the microwave, the inside of this will be hotter than the surface of the sun when you first remove it from the microwave. Give it a few minutes.