Mean Muggin: Dinner Edition
Meatloaf in a Mug, recipe provided below (adapted from Taste of Home)
- 2 tablespoons of 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- tablespoons quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon onion soup mix
- 1/4 pound lean ground beef
- Additional ketchup, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the milk, ketchup, oats and soup mix. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Pat into a microwave-safe mug or custard cup coated with cooking spray.
- Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and a thermometer reads 160°; drain.
- Let stand for 3 minutes. Serve with additional ketchup if desired.Yield: 1 serving.
Chicken Pot Pie:
Chicken Pot Pie in A Mug, recipe provided below (adapted from Dance on Flour)
- 1/2 cup diced skinless, boneless chicken fillet
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1 diced shallot
- 1 tsp cooking olive oil
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 cup organic low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- sea salt
- black pepper
- cayenne pepper
- frozen puff pastry
- Thaw puff pastry 1 hour before use. Preheat oven to 400F / 200C.
- Marinate chicken with some sea salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper and set aside for 10-15 mins.
- Wash and drain the peas. Dice the shallot.
- Heat oil and stir fry the shallot. Add chicken and cook until golden brown. Add peas.
- Stir in flour and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to your preference.
- Slowly stir in chicken broth. Simmer over medium-low heat for 7-10 mins until thick.
- Turn the heat to low, stir in milk and cream.
- Place filling into a mug. Cover it with a rolled-out and cut puff pastry. Seal the edges with water.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8 mins until pastry is puffy and golden brown.
- Allow cool for 3 mins before serving.
Pizza Soup, recipe provided below (adapted from Good Cook)
- 4 Baguette slices
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 4 large Cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (28 oz) can Fireroasted Diced Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Chicken broth
- 3/4 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp dried Red chili pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 2 cups Mozzarella (sliced or grated)
- 12 slices Pepperoni
- Tools Needed: 16 oz Ceramic Soup Crock
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place the top rack on the second shelf of the oven. Place baguette slices directly on the rack in the oven and cook until crispy, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from oven. Set aside.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, then add diced tomatoes, chicken broth, Italian seasoning, chili pepper flakes, salt and sugar. Heat until steaming. Spoon into two Good Cook stoneware mugs.
- Heat oven to broil. Place two baguette slices in the center of each mug of soup. Sprinkle cheese on top of croutons, then top with pepperoni. Place mugs on a baking sheet, then place on the second rack from the top. Cook until cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove from oven and cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!
Coffee Cup Chilaquiles, recipe provided below (adapted from St. Louis Post-Dispatch)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sharp cheddar cheese
- 5 tortilla chips, divided
- 1 tablespoon salsa
- Sour cream
- Queso fresco
- Chopped green onion
- Beat egg and milk with a fork in a coffee cup, adding salt and pepper to taste. Add cheddar; stir to coat. Break 3 or 4 tortilla chips into small pieces to fit in the cup; stir into the mixture. Add salsa.
- Microwave on high until done, about 1 minute, 10 seconds. Garnish with remaining tortilla chips, sour cream, queso fresco and green onion.
Macaroni and Cheese:
Instant Mug o’ Mac & Cheese in the Microwave, recipe provided below (adapted from Babble)
- 1/3 cup pasta
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup 1% milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Combine the pasta and water in a large mug or bowl.
- Microwave on high for two minutes, then stir. A lot of times the water will overflow while it heats up. It is OK if this happens. If you don’t want it to overflow just make this in a very large microwaveable bowl.
- Repeat this for at least 2 to 4 more minutes, stirring at each 2-minute interval. The water should absorb completely and the pasta will be cooked through. If the pasta needs another minute it is okay to add one more teaspoon of water and microwave for another minute.
- Remove it from the microwave and stir in the milk and cheese. Microwave for another minute. Stir the cheese thoroughly into the pasta and eat up!