National Make A Sweet Potato Day!
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon chili powder
- sea salt to taste
- spritz of fresh lime juice
- 2 large spinach tortillas or 4 small tortillas
- ½ cup shredded organic cheddar (optional)
- Black Bean Pineapple Salsa
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1.5 cups fresh pineapple, chopped
- 3 tablespoons red onion, diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 3 scallions, chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped (optional)
- For mashed sweet potatoes:
- In a small sauce pan, boil chopped sweet potatoes until tender and easily pierced with a fork. Drain and mash with coconut oil, cumin, chili powder, sea salt and lime juice. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- For Black Bean Pineapple Salsa:
- Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl until well combined. Taste and adjust flavors as needed.
- Heat tortilla in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of sweet potato mixture (and cheese if using), fold tortilla in half and cook until tortilla is lightly golden. Top with black bean pineapple salsa and enjoy!
- 2 medium or large sweet potatoes
- 1½ tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 bag fresh baby spinach
- ¼ cup light sour cream
- 2 ounces light cream cheese
- 1 cup chickpeas
- ¼ cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bake sweet potatoes at 350 for 45-60 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Cut sweet potatoes in half and let cool for 5-10 minutes. While sweet potatoes are cooling, saute the shallots with the butter over medium heat until translucent. Add fresh spinach and heat for 2-3 minutes, until spinach has cooked down. Set aside.
- Scrape the sweet potato out of the peel, leaving a thin layer inside with the skin so that it can stand up on its own. Mash the sweet potato with the cream cheese and sour cream. Stir in chickpeas, spinach, and plenty of salt and pepper.
- Coat potato skins with a drizzle of oil and bake for about 5 minutes to get a crispier outside. Remove from oven and fill each skin with the sweet potato mixture and top with shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake again for 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and filling is heated through.