Gluten Free Food For Burrito Lovers!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 pepper, cored and diced (I used red pepper)
- 1 to 1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, chicken thighs, or a mix cut into large cubes
- 5 medium sized tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1¼ cups organic low sodium chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup brown rice, gluten free
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded, diced
- Place dutch oven over medium heat and add coconut oil, until melted.
- Add onion, pepper and garlic, cook until softened about 3-4 minutes. Add diced tomatoes, chicken, chicken stock, chili powder, salt, and cumin to pot. Cover and lower heat to low cook about 45 minutes - 1 hour.
- Remove the lid and add the rice, and frozen corn. Replace the lid and continue cooking on low for another 45 minutes.
- Check and stir once or twice to make sure the rice cooks evenly and adding more chicken broth if the mixture seems dry. Cooking is done when the rice is tender.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board Use two forks to shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Place chicken back into pot, stir.
- Place in bowls, top with diced avocado.
- Serve and Enjoy!
- 4 large zucchini
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup salsa (use your preferred level of spiciness)
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1 jalapeno (or poblano pepper), cored and diced
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- salt to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar/monterey jack cheese
- Start by greasing a 9 x 13” casserole dish then set aside. Slice each zucchini in half lengthwise. Using a melon baller or metal teaspoon, hallow out the center of each zucchini. Lightly brush the tops with one teaspoon of olive oil then place them skin side down in the casserole dish.
- Next warm the tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and the peppers and cook for 2-3 minutes. Then add the rice, corn, and beans along with the salsa, chili powder and cumin. Stir everything together and continue to cook for about 5 minutes then remove the skillet from the heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and then stir in 1/4 cup of the cilantro and salt to taste to the filling. Spoon the filling inside of each zucchini until they are all full. Sprinkle each half with cheese then arrange them in the dish and cover with foil. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes then remove the foil and set the oven to broil. Cook them for 5 more minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
- Allow them to cool for 5-10 minutes then top with fresh cilantro and serve. Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.