Cheesy Vegan Recipes
Vegan Jalapeño Popper Grilled Cheese, recipe provided below (adapted from Peas and Crayons)
- 2 slices of your favorite bread
- 2 TBSP Daiya Plain Cream Cheese Style Spread
- 2 Daiya Cheddar Style Slices
- 1 fresh jalapeño
- 2-3 TBSP pickled jalapeño slices
- 1-2 TBSP vegan buttery spread of choice, as needed
- First prep your jalapeño. Remove the stem and slice in half, removing the seeds and veins to dull a bit of the heat. Or leave them in for an extra spicy sandwich! Chop finely and set aside.
- Spread one side of your bread with Daiya cream cheese and top with the chopped/minced jalapeño.
- Top the second slice with Daiya Cheddar Style Slices and top with the pickled jalapeño slices.
- Close your sandwich and, for an extra golden crust, spread the outside of each slice of bread with vegan buttery spread or coconut oil.
- Next heat a pan to medium heat with some extra buttery spread or coconut oil. Once hot, add your sandwich.
- Use a spatula to press down on the grilled cheese, and feel free to pop a clear pot lid on top to help melt the slices. Before flipping, add a little more spread/oil if your pan is dry. Pop your lid back on if you're using one and grill each side until golden brown.
- Melty grilled cheese trick: For the meltiest sandwich ever, pop it in the micr owave for 15 seconds or so after grilling for the most epic vegan cheese pull of all time! It's a bit dreamy.
Vegan Mac & Cheese, recipe provided below (adapted from Delicious Everyday)
- 200 g potato (7 oz) choose a floury/starchy variety instead of waxy potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 100 g cauliflower (3 1/2 oz), chopped
- 200 g butternut pumpkin (squash) (7 oz), peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbs shallot roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup nuritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs white miso (note Australian tbs are 20ml so if you are based outside of Australia use 1tbs plus 1 tsp)
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 300 g macaroni (10 1/2 oz)
- salt and pepper to taste
- baby spinach or rocket (arugala) optional
- Place the potato, cauliflower, butternut pumpkin, garlic, shallot and cashews in a saucepan and cover with as much water as needed so that the vegetables are covered. Add a little salt to season and bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes until fork tender. Do not drain.
- Place in a blender with 1 1/2 cups of cooking water with the all the rest of the ingredients except the macaroni. Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
- While the sauce is blending bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Once boiling add the macaroni and cook according to packet directions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- Toss the pasta with the sauce until well combined. Add some of the reserved pasta water if you'd like slightly looser sauce Add your favourite greens (if using) and serve.
Vegan Cheese Quesadillas, recipe provided below (adapted from Contentedness Cooking)
- For the Vegan Cheese
- 1 can corn
- 4 tbs nutritional yeast
- 5 cloves garlic
- salt, pepper
- For the quesadillas
- 1-2 smashed avocado
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- your favorite tortillas (I used gluten free flour tortillas)
- optional chill powder for a bit more heat
- Prepare the Vegan Cheese: Combine corn, garlic, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper to taste in the bowl of a blender or food processor. Process until the mixture is well combined. Don’t over-process or it will end up too smooth.
- Make the Quesadillas: Put smashed avocado on your favorite tortilla. Add cherry tomatoes, cut in halves. Top all of it with a real good amount of the vegan cheese. If you like, add a bit more heat with the optional chill powder. Finish with the second tortilla. Cut the quesadilla into triangles, brush them with a bit oil if needed. Bake at 400°F on a baking sheet with parchment paper for around 15 minutes until crispy and golden.