On-the-Go Healthy Breakfast
Smoked Salmon & Avocado Egg Sandwich, recipe provided below (adapted from Once Upon a Cutting Board)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 slices whole grain rye bread, toasted
- 2 handfuls baby arugula
- Salt and pepper
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- 1.5 to 2 oz thinly sliced smoked salmon
- To poach your eggs, heat a few inches of water in a wide saucepan. Add a splash of white vinegar (this will help the egg whites stay together). Crack your two eggs into separate small dishes. When the water is just at the point of starting to simmer (but bubbles are not breaking the surface yet), gently slide the eggs into the water. Use a spoon to nudge the egg whites closer to the yolk, turn off the heat, and let cook, covered, for 3-4 minutes. Gently remove eggs with a slotted spoon. Smitten Kitchen and Simply Recipes both have great tutorials on poaching eggs if it's your first time!
- To prepare sandwiches, add arugula and avocado to toasted bread slices, season with salt and pepper, top with smoked salmon and poached egg. Feel free to add some chopped dill, capers, and/or red onion if you like! Eat immediately while egg is still warm.
No Bake 5 Ingredient Peanut Butter Energy Bites, recipe provided below (adapted from Chef Savvy)
- ⅔ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- ½ cup ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Combine all 5 ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir to combine. Place in the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes so they are easier to roll.
- Roll into 12 bites and store in the fridge for up to a week.
Healthy Berry Yogurt Smoothie, recipe provided below (adapted from Chef Savvy)
- ¾ cup fresh blueberries
- ¾ cup fresh blackberries
- 5.3 ounce package plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup vanilla soy milk
- 1 whole banana
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender.
- Pulse for 30 seconds, stir and pulse for an additional 30 seconds.
- Pour into two glasses and serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.
No Bake Cranberry Coconut Energy Bites, recipe provided below (adapted from Life Made Sweeter)
- 1 medium very ripe banana (about 1/4 cup) *
- 1/3 cup your favorite smooth nut or sun butter (slightly heated almond & peanut butter work well)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds or flax seeds (or a combo of both)
- 1 cups old-fashioned or quick oats (use gluten free if needed)
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries (use organic or unsweetened if watching sugar intake)
- Optional: 2 tablespoons date paste, honey or agave syrup OR chopped nuts or seeds
- In a large bowl, mash the banana with a fork. Mix in nut butter and vanilla until smooth. *Stir in date paste, or honey / agave if using.
- Add shredded coconut, oats, chia seeds and mix until well combined. Stir in dried cranberries and add any other nuts of your choice.
- Form into 1" - 1.5" balls and store in airtight container in refrigerator until ready to enjoy.
Fried Egg and Avocado Toast, recipe provided below (adapted from Fitness Food Diva)
- olive oil cooking spray
- 4-large eggs
- 2-peeled ripe avocados, mashed
- 4-(1-ounce) slices hearty whole-grain bread, toasted
- 1/4-teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4-teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2-cup refrigerated fresh salsa or pico de gallo
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Crack eggs into pan; cook 2 minutes. Cover and cook 2 minutes or until desired degree of doneness.
- Spread one-fourth of mashed avocado evenly over each toast slice. Top each toast slice with 1 fried egg. Sprinkle eggs evenly with salt and black pepper. Top each assembled avocado toast with 2 tablespoons fresh salsa or pico de gallo. Enjoy!